The Nigeria Police Force has condemned the conduct of Assistant Superintendent of Police Newton Isokpehi after a viral video showed him threatening to kill anyone who attempted to film him while on duty.
The Anambra State Police Command arrested Isokpehi on Thursday following widespread public outrage triggered by the video, which surfaced on social media on Wednesday. The officer serves under the Anambra State Command.
In the video posted on his TikTok account, Isokpehi threatened to “clear everybody down,” including bystanders, if anyone attempted to record him during police operations. In Pidgin English, he stated: “Any day I’m on duty as a police officer, carrying my rifle and doing my job, let somebody come and video me.”
The NPF said the conduct and utterances exhibited in the video are unacceptable, unprofessional and inconsistent with the ethics, standards and code of conduct of the force.
“The Force wishes to state unequivocally that the conduct and utterances exhibited in the video are unacceptable, unprofessional, and inconsistent with the ethics, standards, and code of conduct of the Nigeria Police Force,” according to a statement from DCP Anthony Okon Placid, Force Public Relations Officer.
The police said such actions run contrary to ongoing reform initiatives aimed at promoting transparency, accountability, professionalism and citizen-focused policing.
Inspector-General of Police Olatunji Rilwan Disu has consistently maintained that members of the public have the right to lawfully record police officers carrying out their duties, provided such recording does not obstruct operations, compromise safety or interfere with lawful police activities.
The Anambra State Police Command immediately identified and arrested Isokpehi after reviewing the video. The command, in a statement signed by Deputy Commissioner of Police Ngozi Ezeabata on behalf of Commissioner Ikioye Orutugu, confirmed that disciplinary proceedings have been activated against the officer.
The command disclosed that Isokpehi had been subjected to a drug test as part of ongoing investigations into the incident.
The Nigeria Police Force reiterated that recording police activities remains a legitimate tool for public accountability and transparency and should not, in itself, attract harassment or intimidation from police personnel.
“The Force further reiterates that recording police activities remains a legitimate tool for public accountability and transparency and should not, in itself, attract harassment or intimidation from police personnel while discharging their duties,” the statement read.
This position aligns with a Federal High Court ruling in March 2026 that explicitly affirmed the constitutional right of Nigerians to record police officers carrying out duties in public spaces, provided such recording does not physically interfere with operations.
Isokpehi later issued an apology, claiming his remarks were made out of frustration rather than genuine intent. In a follow-up video, he said:
“Please forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things happening.”
The officer, who claimed to have spent 12 years in the Mobile Police and sustained multiple gunshot wounds during operations, said he was not genuinely against citizens recording police officers.
“You can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty,” he said in the apology video.
The Nigeria Police Force said it does not tolerate threats, intimidation, abuse of office or any conduct capable of undermining public trust and confidence in law enforcement institutions.
A formal statement detailing the outcome of the disciplinary measures will be communicated in due course, according to the police.
The force appreciated members of the public for their continued partnership in promoting accountability, professionalism and improved policing standards across the country.
